Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Grateful for a Father's love

Today is my Daddy's 85th birthday.  He moved to Heaven 9 years ago next week so I am celebrating his life next week with a toast instead of tears.  It's a tradition now, honor instead of mourn.  But I still miss him every single day.

He taught me how to ride a bike.  He taught me how to embroider when I was 14 and my appendix ruptured and I was home in bed.  He taught me how to load ammo and fire a gun before I could drive a car.

He taught me about living in abundance and giving back.

One day when I was working at the Capitol building in Springfield, Illinois,  I walked uptown to the square for lunch.  I saw my Daddy talking to a group of guys on a corner.  This was not unusual, he walked uptown every day after he ate the sandwich he had brought from home.  He joked that he and the guys he chatted with hung out on the corner to watch the pretty gals.  But he never looked at anyone besides my mother.  Just his dry sense of humor.

This particular day, I walked up and grabbed his arm to tease him a bit.  The clan dispersed as it was time to head back to work.  He asked if I'd like to join him and walk part of the way back together.  We walked and talked about my job, my first "real" job out of college.  As we approached the corner where we would part and go different directions, an older homeless woman approached, though quite tentative.  In a very quick, almost indiscernible motion, she asked for spare change, he pulled a $5 bill out of his pocket that had been at the ready, and put it in her palm.   She quietly thanked him and moved on along the sidewalk.

A few more steps.  I commented that giving her money, $5 at that, might not be wise...she might waste it on alcohol.  I asked why he had done it.  He replied that you had to trust that people would be guided to the right path and he trusted she would.  Her name was Sally he told me.  I had no words.

He was my shining light.  I hope I am as bright for others as he was for me.

He was deeply spiritual though I would not label him religious.  Didn't like going to church but loved the old hymns and could recite the 23rd Psalm by heart.

He was deeply patriotic.  Proud to be a veteran and loved his country.

He was dry and stoic.  I saw him cry just a couple of times in my life.  When our dogs died suddenly. When my cousin Penny was buried on her 40th birthday and her mother walked some of the flowers over to the grave of my grandmother (her sister) and returned to hug my dad.  His heart broke.  He was an only child and lost his parents 9 weeks apart while they were still in their 50s.

I will never forget seeing him in his tux getting it fitted for my wedding.  I had seen him in his suit dressed for work every day, seen him in jeans.  But when he walked out of the dressing room in his tux, I was speechless.  He was SO handsome!  I saw my Daddy as I had never seen him.

His humor was legendary.  When I got engaged, he said on the phone to my husband "Son, are you SURE you know what you're doing?  Have you REALLY thought this through?"

But he choked up walking me down the aisle.

On our first anniversary, he called my husband.  "First anniversary, right?"  Yes :)  "Warranty's up, can't bring her back now!"  And hung up laughing.

He ate Rice Krispies every day I knew him for breakfast.  And the day he sneezed and blew them all over my mother who sat there speechless is legendary.  As he grew older and Alzheimer's started to take over parts of him, his love was for Rice Krispies with chocolate milk instead of the traditional white.  What the hell, go for it Daddy :)

When we adopted Chico, we knew he had been born in December but not which date.  We gave him Daddy's birthday so we would remember.  Chico would have been 13 today and I know Daddy's got him in his lap loving him on their day.

He never yelled, never hit us.  He told me one time I had to make my own decisions and if they turned out to be not so good ones, he'd be there to pull me out of the hole I'd fallen in.

He was a man of very few words but huge heart.  I never once doubted his love for me.  I knew I could always count on him.

Daddy, I will write more next week about the amazing person your earthly being was.  But for now, Happy 85th birthday and 13th to Chico.  The beer must be flowing in Heaven...and none of that light crap for you, only the best :)  Your favorite ...

Old Milwaukee







No comments:

Post a Comment