Friday, October 24, 2014

Gratitude for new adventures that turn into loves

I had something on my bucket list that I fulfilled last year.  I've been blessed enough to check A LOT off of my bucket list like trips to Tahiti and a number to places in Europe I wanted to visit.  But this was something else...a learning experience.  And boy was it...

One of the delightful things is that my husband jumped into my bucket too and took the the adventure in.

We learned to row.

OK, not that row boat type of thing or fishing or a canoe where you leisurely float, row, throw a line in the water, have a beer, read your book, glass of wine at sunset thing.  You're a single boat about a foot wide and 27' long or a double with two people or a quad/4x with 4 peeps and oars damned near as long as I am tall...wait longer than that.  And you have to do a "flip test" on the water and get back in your boat before you can solo after your "learn to row" sessions.

Yep, it's amazing and maddening all at the same time.  And that "flip test" thing to get back into your boat is not as easy as it sounds for us short gals well over 50.

AND if that is not enough, you will need to forget everything you learned in canoe lessons at Girl Scout Camp Widgiwagen about the positions of left and right and front and back of a boat!  The bow is in the back, starboard is left, port is on the right...

But it is amazing.

This morning at first light, there were six of us out; my hubs and K in a double and 4 of us in a quad...THE NEW BOAT OUR CLUB BOUGHT THIS YEAR!  I got to row in the new quad!  On a beautiful day on the St. Croix river as we wind down our season amongst the red oaks and their beautiful colors and the glassy water.

There is nothing like the sound of your slide/seat moving back and forth with everyone else when you're rowing the quad.  All the same movement (hopefully!) and all the same stroke (hopefully!) and the glide and at the same time the power of movement with the drive of all legs in a Power 10.   The peace and fun of rowing a double with a veteran who knows just what they see in your slide and stroke and coaches you to the best of your movement to feel like you are floating along in perfect rhythm and pace with them.  They are amazing athletes and yet simple coaching like "plant your blades and drive" are the perfect confidence builders for a 2d year like me.  No ego, so kind.  And this morning I was behind another member who was in stroke seat (you have to follow that person's movements to stay in sync) and though he confessed he had not rowed a quad in 34 years, he got me to a new level of feeling great.  And it helped boost my confidence that the commodore who was in the bow (in charge seat) called out and told me my blade depth was great on my stroke.

Overall an AMAZING row this morning despite not being able to feel my feet when we stood in the river to get the boat in and out :)

I love my pal that I row with that will call "weigh enough" (that's STOP!) on the river and point out the sunrise over the church steeple or the hot air balloons rising or the convocation of eagles on shore eating a fish that washed up.  She gets the beauty of the sport and has won her medals but she also makes sure we get the time to appreciate the spirituality of what we are doing in the early morning.

They also watch and know and gently assist in those moments when those of us taking baby steps need to know we are not complete and utter screw ups.  Like me...

Flipped my single on the coldest effing day of the summer, 54 air temp.  And could NOT get back in after about half a dozen tries and had to swim the damned thing to shore after having drifted halfway to New Orleans.  After that I have refused to go back in the "big girl" boat and went right back to the trainer, which is wider and more stable.

But my pal who loves the scenery and the one who is national champ, and the one who coached me to  "plant and drive" have all said "you need to get back on the horse..."  Well...the horse pissed me off.  I've lost a bit of my mojo in the other boat.  But they have the confidence in me so come spring I will start with baby steps again and see how it goes :)   I still feel good in the double and 4x/quad so we'll see about that single. But to have those kind women take the time to reach out and coach, encourage, build.  It's something I have not seen or experienced much of up here and I am SO grateful for it.

It is a beautiful sport and so fun and such an adventure.  And the hubs and I have also taken it to another level and have become regatta referee candidates.  Not an easy process but WAY cool and a huge honor.  I don't have the racing bug but I loved the observation part of our "schooling" recently on the Head of the Mississippi Regatta.

This is going to rock :)

I am so grateful for this beautiful morning on the river with people who are really wonderful and I so appreciate.  I am grateful for my heart being guided to this sport that I love, and once I'm a bit more confident I am sure I will be better at.  I am grateful for sharing it with my loving husband who not only loves it, is obsessed.

In the stress of all on my plate, and winter approaching, I am beyond grateful for at least two more days to get out there and absorb the beauty and friendship that I've found rowing.











No comments:

Post a Comment