Tuesday, September 2, 2014

more old friends

There are those who just GET you, just get what you feel, know, are about.  No judgment, no questions, nothing in there.  They love you and just GET you.

So that is my girlfriend from high school.  We knew each other in middle school but didn't hang out.  High school brought it in for the real thing...her teaching me the driving course for my license and taking me to practice (since she did it 2 months before) and driving me around the Cathedral to see if my crush of the summer was outside working at his job as a gardener, and drinking at the lake when we were not supposed to with her boyfriend and his "relatives."  We even dated several of the same boys...not at the same time.  Sometimes she broke them in for me :)

We could not be more different in some ways...I went on to college after high school, she did not.  I didn't marry till I was 37, by that time, she had been married almost 18 years and had two amazing sons.  I'm out trying to save the world, she's raising sons and coping with her own life challenges with health and family.

The Neat gal went to FL right after graduation on a trip and met a local boy who fell hard for her.  I know I'm getting details wrong probably, but she came home from the trip, he showed up not long after and told her he wasn't leaving till she married him and a year later they got married.  And...wait for it...they have been married 37 years.  And he ROCKS :)

I on the other hand, spent time with "lessons" getting engaged to an idiot and dating every asshole in Chicago and the collar counties...  We are very different Neat Gal and I...but not really <3

She GETS me.  In all of the things in life I have been through, she has somehow, miraculously come up with the perfect words at the perfect time for every time I have been ready to jump from the chimney.  She GETS how I have felt and never judged or questioned, just been there with the perfect comments and resolution it seems.  She GETS that I struggled with what was expected of me, she GETS that my end of the world has presented tough things I have had challenges with.  Never once given me a hard time or told me to get over myself.  Just been there...

Because she GETS me.

And don't think she hasn't had tough ones bigger than me.  Illness that brought the whole family to their knees and presented challenges.  Never a complaint from Neat Gal when we would talk.  Just updates about the boys or the hubs.  The only time I have heard a whimper was the late night she called to tell me her mom died.  And she was certainly entitled.

Last summer, I went home to see family and took my elderly blind Husky pup.  We were only there one night and it appeared via some issues I was going to have to go home.  I called her to tell her I couldn't come over the next day due to some family stuff going on and had to head back.  Her response was "stay here!"  Well, Neat Gal, you have your son and new daughter-in-law living there too and I have an elderly, blind Husky who talks a lot and wears a belly band because he leaks urine now and then...it will be chaos.  Her response?  "get over here, it will be fun chaos and the hubs will make you cocktails so even more fun...and Chico (my pup) will have steak for dinner!  Come now, there are clean sheets on the bed, Chico will be fine and we'll have fun."

She GETS me...she knew I needed not to drive 8 hours home but to have time to talk about life.  And it was a blast!

And Chico did have steak, had a ball talking and did great the whole time we were there :)

Chico died two weeks ago very suddenly and the first person I texted was the Neat Gal.  She would understand in ways my other friends might not...

She GETS me.  She knows my love for my pups and all animals.  She GETS me and supports me.  And she had fallen in love with Chico too :)

I am grateful for the Neat Gal and her hubs who loves me like a sister too and always treats me like a queen <3  He GETS me too :)  I am grateful for her and all of the times I ranted about my mother's bullshit, my psycho boyfriend of the moment, whatever it was.  She had the words and ideas for help every time and was there every time for me.

Because SHE GETS ME...and loves me :) no boundaries.

I am so grateful you are there and so blessed you are a part of my life <3  I hope I am as good to you as you are to me and I  hope I GET you the way you just GET me <3


No comments:

Post a Comment