Friday, September 19, 2014

My AMAZING students, I am SO grateful for all of you!

I spent 15 years teaching at two universities and a community college.  And though I was the one put in front of the room to provide guidance and information for students taking marketing, sales and management classes in the Business Departments, I do believe I learned more than I taught.

I miss teaching.  It was/is a calling and it was for clergy pay.  Wait...the pastor at the church I attended made way more than I did.  It was for, sometimes, minimum wage.  And it was a challenge in more than conveying material to be learned.  Other faculty letting you know you are not of value with "only an MBA."  And the politics of higher ed...  Well the bi-partisan issues cannot hold a candle to higher ed's game.  But I was grateful for every second, and every single student I was blessed to have in my classroom.

They came in all shapes, sizes, ages, backgrounds, and though one university was all women, I had both genders.  I had religious beliefs that some of you have never heard of, I had some married, some single, many GLB (no T's that I know of) and many of difference race, skin color and national origin.  I am so very grateful because I learned SO much from them!

There were a number that suffered horrible situations.  After conversations with them I found myself driving home in tears wondering how they focused on school and getting through the days.  Sexual assault, homelessness, death of parents, addiction, physical abuse, eating disorders.  And so very young to have their hearts broken so deeply.  And they were sitting there waiting for me to tell them about the 4P's of marketing through all of their heartbreak.

And every single one of them taught me the most important thing about teaching...LOVE.

We don't do it (most of us) for the money or accolades.  There are a great many who do it for the ability to get funding for research or to publish.  I could have cared less about either of those things, which lost me a couple of positions in that 15 years.  I loved helping them learn about life...well and marketing and management stuff.

I LOVED all of them and seeing their eyes light up when they learned something really cool.  Or to have them reach out, even years later on Facebook or in an email and say "I remember what you taught us and used it today!"  And 9 out of 10 times, they were not talking about something in a textbook :)

There are those that even years later fill my heart...

One of my students is involved in animal rescue transport which is a passion of mine.  It's like a puppy underground railroad that drives animals from high kill shelters to homes/fosters/furevers up here where I live.  Drive, love, deliver.  Simple.  But some drivers need help with gas money and thus was the case when I donates to her transport group.  Small amount to me, huge to someone else.

And I got this beautiful note in the mail.  "...you were always one of my favorite professors!"  Girl, that is like a winning lottery ticket!

And there is my sweet french horn player who texts me all the time and is my dear friend now.  Her laughter and smile is always ringing in my ears :)

And the ones who still text and ask when we can get together...I miss you all SO much!  Life is so busy but I miss you SO much and promise we WILL make time!

They have called past bedtime (which for me is before the news is over) and cried and cried about "significant others"...  "Sally, they are SUCH ASSHOLES!!!  Why do I love_______________?"  Yes sweet girl, they are.  But if you have faith, your love will be there, I can attest to that.  I had to figure that out too.  And I'll be  here to help you keep your faith along the way.

They came to a night class that went from 6-9:45 after they had worked all day and said "I love this class Sally, I can't wait for Tuesday nights!"

They wrote me letters of recommendation when I applied for a full time position.  I didn't know until they mentioned it at my interview process.  Unsolicited support from those I was supposed to be conveying bits of brilliance upon :)

They invited me/us to their weddings and baby showers.  How blessed am I to share in these beautiful life events they are so excited about and usually reserved for family and close friends?

They are so amazing.  They are so wonderful.  And I am so very blessed to have been a part of their lives and have them in mine.  I learned way more from them than I ever barfed out of a textbook.

Here's to every student in every class I ever taught...you are STILL filling my heart with gratitude!  I love you all to the moon and back...  My life is a new level of complete with all of you in my heart.


2 comments: